Spooky Blood Red Beetroot Soup
A fabulous “blood red” beetroot soup that is perfect to serve to children on Halloween or Bonfire night or a nutritious and healthy soup for family supper in the cooler months. All that is needed to make it a complete meal is some crusty bread as an accompaniment!
- Cut the beetroot into small dice and set to one side.
- Heat the oil up in a large frying pan and add the onions and garlic and fry over a gentle heat for 15 minutes or until very soft. Add the beetroot vinegar and the diced beetroot and mix well, before adding the hot vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes before taking off the heat and allowing to cool slightly.
- Liquidise the soup with a hand held immersion blender or in a food processor until smooth.
- Season to taste and then add the crème fraîche before reheating the soup over a low heat until it is hot, but do NOT allow to boil.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread or croutons, and an extra swirl of crème fraîche on the top if serving at a dinner party.