Beetroot Hash Cakes
Delicious little potato, corned beef and beetroot cakes, that are perfect for a family supper dish. Serve these little cakes with baked beans for an added five-a-day boost or, with some steamed seasonal greens.
- Mash the potatoes in mixing bowl and then add the corned beef and beetroot mix well and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Wet your hands, and then shape the red flannel hash mix into small cakes, like fish cakes; you should be able to make eight cakes, depending on size, but these can be adjusted according to your families’ requirements for adults and children.
- Heat up the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium to high heat, and when the oil is hot, add the red flannel hash cakes and then turn the heat down to low - medium.
- Cook the cakes on one side for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are crispy and golden brown, and then gently turn them over with a fish slice and continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, before serving them immediately.
- NB: These cakes are best made 1 hour ahead of time and chilled in the fridge before cooking, this makes them easier to handle and less likely to break up in the pan.