Baxters Rhubarb and Ginger Meringue Tarts
This unusual tart filling brings an alternative twist to the traditional lemon meringue pie.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- For the pastry: sieve the flour into a bowl or food processor and add the butter. Pulse in the processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (or if you’re not using a food processor, rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips). Tip in the caster sugar and stir together. Mix in the egg and knead gently until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm thickness and use to line eight individual tart moulds. Trim the edges, cover the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with ceramic baking beans. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the ceramic baking beans and greaseproof paper and cook for another 10 minutes or until golden. Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/gas mark 2.
- Remove the pastry from the moulds and spoon in the Baxters Rhubarb and Ginger Conserve.
- For the meringue: whisk the egg whites until small firm peaks form. Then whisk in the caster sugar, a little at a time, until the peaks are glossy. Spoon or pipe the meringue onto the tarts.
- Place the tarts in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the meringue browns. Serve warm.