Baxters Country Berry Conserve Sponge Cake
An alternative spin to the traditional Victoria Sponge.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4. Grease and base line two 20cm sandwich cake tins.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl, then use an electric whisk to beat them together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs beating well between additions. Baxters Chef’s Tip: Add a little flour to prevent curdling.
- Sift the flour into the bowl, then gently fold in along with the lemon zest and 2 tbsp. water - the mixture should softly drop off the spoon. Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until the sponge is risen and golden - it should spring back when lightly touched in the centre. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- To make the icing, use an electric whisk to beat the butter and lemon juice together until pale and fluffy, then sift the icing sugar and slowly beat into the mixture. Peel the lining paper from the base of the sponges.
- Place one sponge cake on a plate, spread over the icing, then the top with the Baxters Country Berry Conserve. Gently place the second sponge on top and dust with icing sugar.